Friday, August 8, 2008

Requested Vanity Session



I recently got an email that I was quite amazed with. It was suprising and filled me with warm fuzzies, as it is one that has made me feel confident and has let me become just a little vain for at least one blog entry. This email complimented my blog spot as well as my own style, asking me how i stay so 'effortlessly fashionable'.

Occasionally I will have the random compliment of, "I love your hair", or "your shoes are gorgeous", and sometimes it will be finished with "How did you do it?" or "where did you get them?". These sorts of compliments would give anyone a boost of confidence and a sense of achivement. Today I plan to answer the question asked by that reader by making up a style file about me. If requested I can do one of these about celebrities and other people you just have to 'know' (routines & such) about.



Known As: Clairzy, student & fashion bloggest

Solo Influences: I am in love with Kate Hudson's flawless style. She dresses to suit every trend, but somehow makes it her own. I love the way Christina Aguliera can just put on a pair of skinnies and heels and make the room light up. Other notable influences are Peaches Geldolf & Kate Moss, but the most significant solo influence is Audrey Hepburn. Although we don't live in the same decades, I can't help but feel a buzz when I look at photos of her in a LBD or a classic beret. Her ability to make everyone, while she was alive and since then, smile is captivating. The biggest compliment for me is to be placed beside her in the fashion files, even though i know i will never shape up to that excellence.



Other Influences: I love decade trends, but tend to stay away from the 80's fluros. My favourite decades are the 60's for mod chic and the 70's for pretty picnic dresses, aline skirts and florals. I also draw from the catwalk and love to look at magazine "Shop! til you drop" (which i receive monthly) for inspiration when it comes to everyday fashion trends. Vogue is nice to look at, but i always keep in mind that it's catwalk fashion and in order to wear daily it needs to be toned down. I draw inspiration from film and television as well. The recent inspirational factors have been "SEX & THE CITY: THE MOVIE", "LIPSTIK JUNGLE" & my all time favourite (which will always be fabulous) "THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA".

Shop Where?: My favourite store would have to be dotti. They have a new range out every month or so and it's always up to date with the latest trends. I don't buy for the trends though, I buy for my own style. Dotti is creative feminine chic, and rarely displays tacky tween designs that other stores do. I also shop at cotton on for basics and accessories such as scarves. Where I buy shoes always changes but Target will never lose it's focus on cute mary-janes and boots. My favourite shoe designer is Tony Bianco and my favourite department store is Myer for "Miss Shop" and "Wish".



Shop How?: Never ever buy something simply because it's cheap, on sale or it's buy one get one free. This is the trap I used to get in and I have the clothes to prove it. These clothes sit in my wardrobe hoping to be warn, but they never are, except for the occasional chance of a school performance costume (a 'la drunk rockstar). I'm pretty sure this also goes for flicking through the $5 bin if you need a shirt. I still do this, but to be honest I hardly ever see anything I like. I believe that if all your buying is $5 shirts then you must have been spending too much money on undecent $5 shirts and forming an endless fashion disaster. Try and buy clothes you like, that you will wear often, but of course clothes you can afford. If you, say, spend $100 a week on $5 shirts that end up at the back of your closest after one wear, than what's the point, isn't it better to go to shops like Dotti or Bardot and buy too nice decent shirts for $50 that are well lined, timeless and can FIT YOU?



Shop What?: I don't focus just on trends. I have decided what I love and what I don't, such as I love denim Ra Ra skirts and high heels but will never ever wear high waisted denim! That is a tacky look, I think personally that has just gone out of control.


So I hope this has given you just a little insight into how I wear what I wear, and why I wear what I wear.


hugs & kisses, Clairzy

No comments:

Post a Comment